MRI Safety Week 2018 takes place July 23-29 2018. The week aims to raise awareness of MRI Safety while also promoting excellence and best practice.
Facilities and individuals around the world arrange and take part in a number of special activities during the week. MRI Safety Week takes place during the anniversary week of the tragic MRI accident in 2001 that resulted in the death of 6-year-old Michael Colombini.
It was this fatal incident which lead Dr. Simon Goodyear, Dr. Mark Keene and Matt Wooliscroft to found Metrasens with the aim of putting their scientific knowledge to work to stop accidents like this happening in the future.
Reducing MRI accidents – a new report
To mark this year’s MRI Safety Week we have worked with Tobias Gilk, Chairman of the American Board of Magnetic Resonance Society and Consultant to Metrasens, to produce an insightful analysis of recent MRI accident data and how best practice could have potentially reduced the number of reported incidents.
Useful MRI Safety Week resources
The Metrasens’ team are committed to raising awareness of MRI Safety best practices. We regularly produce a range of useful resources and training materials to help achieve this. We’ve summarized a few of these below:
- MRI Safety Predictions for 2018 – 10 leading experts predict what they think will be the trends in MRI Safety this year. Read the article here.
- On-demand webinar: Understanding and Complying with The Joint Commission’s Requirements for MRI Safety – Watch this webinar with Dr. Frank G. Shellock to gain a better understanding of The Joint Commission’s guidance on MRI safety. Watch the webinar here.
- The 5 Most Shared MRI Safety Articles from 2018 so far – We’ve compiled a list of the most shared MRI safety articles on social media so far, find out more here.
- On-demand webinar: The Fundamentals of MRI Safety with Tobias Gilk. Satisfy The Joint Commission’s Requirement for Annual Training by watching this recent webinar.
- Free Guide to MRI Safety and Ferromagnetic Detection Regulations – Download a copy of our guide to the latest regulations and guidelines regarding Ferromagnetic Detection Systems (FMDS) in the US. Get your copy here.
- Comprehensive MRI Safety Training – Sign up to Metrasens’ Ferroguard Academy to access a range of basic and CE accredited advanced training courses from a leading faculty. Courses are free for Metrasens’ customers, register here.
- 2018 FGI Guidelines: What You Need To Know – Following the recent publication of the new 2018 edition of the Facility Guidelines Institute’s Guidelines for Design and Construction of Hospitals, we asked Tobias Gilk to provide an overview of the key changes you need to be aware of. Read the full article here.
- MRI Safety, It’s a Team Effort – Following the tragic MRI accident in Mumbai earlier this year we asked our experts for their views on how MRI Safety practices could be improved. Read the full article here.
Win a pair of tickets to see Dr. Emanuel Kanal in Edinburgh
Finally, Metrasens are proud to be sponsoring MRI Safety Matters’ event with Dr. Emanuel Kanal in Edinburgh, Scotland this October. We are giving away a pair of tickets to the event so if you would you like to be part of one of Dr. Kanal’s legendary Q&A sessions you can enter the competition here.
We hope you find these resources useful during MRI Safety Week 2018 and beyond.